Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Peers, And The Wisdom They Share With The World

I do not understand my peers.

Really. I am confused by them half of the time, and the other half is spent annoyed at them. And okay, there is another piece of this pie that involves the times I find them hilarious.

You can't make this stuff up. Well, maybe you could. You probably possess these skills, but all I seem to come up with has to do with ninjas and glitter.

Which probably explains the fact that when I added a girl from school on Facebook last night she commented on a status regarding my creepiness with words of agreement, to think of it. I am going to go ahead and believe she was going along with my hilarity rather than commenting on my character and move on with my life.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I am taken aback by the number of teenage mothers at my school. And the thing is, I fully had a conversation regarding a peer's son and lackluster father yesterday. It was par for the course, or something. I'm just confused.

The bit of the conversation revolving around me lasted about thirty seconds and went somewhat like this.

"Are you dating anyone?"

"No."

"You don't text, do you?"

"haha, no."

"Are you talking to anyone?"

"No."

Are you talking to anyone? What does this even mean, friends? I can only draw lewd conclusions from this. Following this, the two girls I was sharing a group with began bemoaning the fact that they had been single for such vast amounts of time. Girl B dithered for a moment, saying "I've been single for four months! Oh wait, no... two... no, a month! Was it three weeks? No, a month, four weeks!"

This being said, they both seemed nice enough. I don't want to come off as if I hate them, because somehow I don't. This is merely an attempt to demonstrate my confusion and slight hilarity at the situations I find myself in.

(How am I doing?)

In fact, while I did some moaning of my own at having to do group work, the fact that they asked me to join their group at all was pretty nice of them. And, unlike a billion percent of my other encounters with the Great God Of Group Work, they did contribute to the assignment. Shock, I know.

I am somewhat of an oddity at my school, and not even for the Obvious Reasons (I'm creepy, remember? Represent!). The fact of the matter is that I was a sophomore last year and now I am magically a senior and quite several a few people have expressed confusion of their own. "Wait, weren't you a sophomore last year?"

It amuses me that anyone would notice me at all, but I digress.

I just wanted to say "but I digress" because this is a cool thing to do when you're a writer. Fact.

I am mystery woman (girl, person, human, ninja and glitter appreciator--pick your poison wisely, friends). Unfortunately, this also means I am vastly alone the majority of the time. Not that I'm complaining.

I am, actually. I hope you don't mind.

My math teacher has been mentioned here before. He likes to talk about his elderly-cat-named-Stubby, which I find endlessly amazing. For instance, upon explaining to us the fact that he would be collecting papers day by day rather than all on Friday, he graced us with the following words: "It's not like I have any plans over the weekend," he said, gesturing to the world with his wet erase pen, "I mean, I might wrestle with my cat or something, get the laser pin after her. She hates that thing, I think it hurts her eyes."

I wrote it down in my journal. (I'm not creepy I'm not creepy I swear it was the nearest thing to me at the time don't judge me!!!!!)

You really can judge me, actually. I will cry, but I figure I'll probably survive your Hatred And Roguish Attractive Quotient.

I don't even know.

But I have more wisdom! Here, have at it. Upon being accused of cruelty, my Cat Loving Math Teacher defended himself thusly: "I like everybody, I like the whole world. The only thing I don't like, the only thing I can't stand, is broccoli."

Our week one test involved a problem finding the circumference of a tin of asparagus. The same sentiment was duly expressed, right there on the test. I like this guy. It almost makes math class enjoyable.

Only not really. Math and I have never been on the best of terms.

My English teacher, ye old school fixture addressed by his initials, instructed us to outline our beliefs for him this week. Last year, upon learning he was teaching the granddaughter of one of his students, he immediately pulled out his phone to call his wife for lols.

I don't know why I'm using "lols" so much. I find it amusing. Pardon me.

On that note, I am somewhat under the impression that all of my teachers are divorced. It's like a puzzle. First period, divorced. Second period, has kids but no wedding ring. Third, divorced with cat. Fourth, probably not divorced. Fifth, Ye Old Initials, divorced and remarried. Sixth, divorced and remarried. Seventh and eighth I spend in the library, which adds at least two more divorces to my list.

I told you I'm a creeper.

I digress. But really, this blog is one huge digression or something. I'm pretty sure. I just say things, and sometimes they sound cool. Other times I press "PUBLISH POST" and ask myself what have I done.

You win some, you lose some.

As we conversed on the topic of belief (which somehow relates to Catch-22), we came to an argument over whether the earth is 9,000 years old or not.

"But there are 60,000 year old fossils or something, aren't there?" a peer questioned.

"Well," said Ye Old Initials, "the idea there is that 9,000 years ago fossils were created to look millions of years old."

"Who," said the peer, his tone a verbal rolling of eyes, "was bored 9,000 years ago, creating all these fossils?"

Lols.

Several minutes following this beautiful conversation we, AP English students that we are, attempted to wheedle Ye Old Initials into more points on our Frankenstein tests. One question involved the author, Mary Shelley, and whether her maiden name was Godwin or Wollstonecraft. Ye Old Initials would have none of the idea that Godwin was her maiden name. Her maiden name was Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin in the book's introduction, and we were all fighting tooth and nail for the right to have answered Godwin rather than Wollstonecraft.

"The girl takes the guy's last name, Ye Old Initials!" insisted the same peer, leaping up and gesturing to his book. "It's simple math!"

He gave us the points. I give you this verbose mess of a post. Mutualistic relationship, this.

7 comments:

  1. I think this might be one of my favorite of your blogs! I really like seeing how your mind works.

    Too often I think we write something and then say, "Hell no! I can't put that on the internet! DELETE! DELETE!" We should just write out our thoughts. They are often mysteriously beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I digress.... YOu ARE a good writer.

    I loved to read tis Blog. I sahll re-read it soon! :D

    I'm going to post soon, i promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your post. If you digress enough you get back to the beginning! See, we are never really lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA.

    Your mind is fun and full of digressions and so similar to my mind.

    I find being a teen mom to be kind of tragic. I don't know if the current social norm is to find that kind of thing progressive? But, yeah, I find it sad. But teen moms who stay in school are admirable, I think. Because a lot drop out. So kudos to the ones who don't.

    Your English teacher sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I don't understand serial daters. Mostly, I don't understand why that (date for two weeks, call it quits, repeat) is the preferred mode of romantic forays. Is it so weird to expect relationships to be Lasting and Meaningful? Really? Psh. This is why I'm a serial single.

    2. Group work should be outlawed.

    3. I sort of skipped my freshman year of college--credit transfers YAY! (PS: helpful hint time! When you start looking at and applying to colleges, get on their websites/call the registrar and ask about transfer credits. Some schools will give you nothing for AP stuff, some schools will give you LOTS. And if you have LOTS you don't have to pay to take stupid classes.) I have a lot of, "Wait. This is only your second year? How are you a Junior?" moments that are oh-so-fun to explain away. No, really, they are fun. It makes me feel Special and Important and like a Total Badass.

    4. The stupidity of your peers (and, well, peers in general) is astounding. I hope that kid wasn't serious.

    5. I would have totally gone on a feminist rant about my right to my own name. In response to the 'girl takes the guy's name' bit. I also would have ranted that it's unfair to say 'girl' and 'guy' instead of 'girl' and 'boy' because it infantilizes the female, but I digress. (I wasn't planning on bringing up 'but I digress' in this comment, but then I went and did it.) I'm glad you got the points!

    6. Journals are books of paper...in which we generally contain our thoughts...but still. I've totally jotted something hilarious in mine more than once. Not creepy!

    ReplyDelete