Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blog Every Day April: 4/3

"She has a way of seeping into skin to change
the landscape of your sight, and she will rattle
hearts until the bodies' arms and legs
are still. . ."
The Herbalist's Nightshade Song
Katrina Vandenberg

I watch Tangled for the first time as sleep looms too close for comfort and I scratch previous, deeper blog ideas.

Granted, scratching my one (1) grand inspiration may equate to waxing poetic over the glory of Cheez-Its, and this movie is distracting in the best possible way.

I may just explode from the utter cuteness.

I spent a large part of my day in the fairy cove that is my bed, attempting to stave off what could easily turn into illness. I'm feeling much better now, so here's to hoping! It was only a few weeks ago that I was well enough to return to school after my wisdom teeth were extracted (yay, drugs and dry socket! Alliteration!), and I am not looking to be bedridden again anytime soon. (I assume not many look to be bedridden, however. I'm chock-full of observation tonight.)

Senioritis hasn't quite hit; I have begun to dread school's end, as it means I will no longer have a job working in my high school's library. No, I don't like it much here in tinytowntexas, but in the library I have grown to feel like I belong. It has been a tremendous gift to be able do something I love this year.

Still, it's a bit of a waiting game at this point. My peers are currently in a frenzy of pre-prom madness, which is both entertaining and dizzying in a somewhat sickening way. And while I'm sure I will feel in some way dejected when I don't attend, I am quite confident in my decision not to. In my mind the premise is gross on a level second only to ocean documentaries and mountain climbing; I see no reason to torture myself unduly.

I tell myself I would feel differently about this if I had a group of friends to go with. Possibly this is true, but even then I cannot imagine finding enjoyment in attiring oneself in itchy/tight/shiny clothing and riding around in a cramped limo in order to writhe to music in front of one's equally attired (and probably uncomfortable) peers. (Also, you pay to do all of these things. My brain fails to compute this level of masochism.)

Also known as Reasons Katherine Would Not Be Good at Partying, No. 137.

According to my hairdresser, her prom (circa 2006) had a country theme. There were hay bales. And I thought our techno (i.e. rave) theme was lame.

All of this leads me to think that we are made to put way too much stock in single, grandiose and over-thought events. Be it one's prom, graduation or wedding, our best times are expected to deliver a happiness so great that it will be forever remembered. Make it or break it situations abound, as if these are the only spaces of time that count. Without a fairy tale wedding or high school glory days to look back on, what exactly are we as people?

I strive most of all to find my happiness in the small moments. Even the broken ones have worth, and to think: I have a lifetime of moments to be made. I don't have to wait for the fleeting facsimile of happiness others thrust at me to try on. I don't have to cover myself in a second, itchy, ill-fitting skin.

I don't have to. I have my moments.

5 comments:

  1. I would go to prom and hang out with you if you were going and I'd still hang out with you if you didn't. I know how you feel about the whole thing. I felt that way too and I WENT to prom. Had a miserable time and still don't really know why I went but I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's more part of the tradition of "Gosh this is dumb but albeit familiar" that the same prom traditions even happen. And from my angle, as one who legitimately enjoyed their experience, I can see why it is repeated. And these "bragging rights" times, graduation, prom, fairy tale weddings, I guess it makes no sense to others who don't understand the Shiny times that we have. Like to Normal People, they don't get how amazing it is to go to vidcon and be recognized.
    Others don't need to force the tight uncomfortable prom ballgown on you when you're perfectly comfortable in jeans and a loose tee. So your moments might be at 9pm on a saturday night in front of your computer, and not at the bar puking in an unsanitary toilet, but realizing He Likes You drunkenly. It doesn't matter what your moment is. If it's shiny to you, that's what matters.
    WHY DO I READ INTO YOUR BLOG POSTS SO MUCH AND WRITE THIS MUCH. I WRITE SO GORRAM MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I must say that I have yet to watch Tangled. It should be arriving in the mail TODAY. I have not been anxious for it to arrive until now, but there you go making me want things.

    Next, I must say that a 'fairy tale wedding' is in my ten year plan. I want that moment to help define and shape my life. I want to marry (not Prince Charming. He really isn't my type anyway...) a man who can be my best friend for my whole life. I want to wear a pretty white dress and I want to kiss him for the first time as a married couple on the steps of the temple. (What can I say? I'm Mormon. We do things differently. A little at least.) I don't see anything wrong with that. It might be my definition of 'fairy tale', though, that changes it.

    On to prom... I must say that as a sophomore I have not yet really thought about going to prom. I think I might have to go to school first. (This is another problem with having mono. No school events. Also, I feel the need to point out that I almost spelled 'problem' as promlem'. I think this is a sign.) I think I'd like to go to prom. You know, in the same way I'd like to watch Arthur this afternoon and the way I want some pizza for lunch. It sounds very appealing, but not nessisary. (On a side note, ignore my spelling issues. I was born with them. They won't go away.)

    I agree with the lovely Miss Ukelele; you choose your moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tangled is ADORABLE! :D I love that movie.

    And yeah, I don't understand why people feel the necessity to get really dressed up in order to sweat all over a dance floor. I'm a junior, and only seniors and their dates go to prom at my school, so I don't currently have Prom Pressure. Except, a lot of my friends are seniors, and so they kind of want me to get a senior as my "date" (i.e.: a friend will buy my ticket) and go with them. I'm somewhat tempted, but I doubt that I'll end up going because, um, I feel like it would be a waste of money, overall.

    I've had fun at school dances before though. It can be enjoyable with the right friends. We just hung out, silly-danced a bit, and then left an hour early to go have dinner and just spend time together. So I'm planning on going to my senior prom, just because, meh, it's a "high school experience" that I want to at least try out.

    And, of course, as I said before...If you honestly regret skipping your prom a year from now, I'll take you to mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's super rude to show up at YOUR blog and spew about MY life...but, um...I *acknowledge* that rudeness and proceed into said territory.

    My favorite line: "the fairy cove that is my bed"

    Oh. That actually was about you! But NOW I will talk about me!! #rude

    I decided to go to my prom about two hours before the thing started. Yep. My favorite teacher was there, and it was really nice to see her and her husband (who was also my favorite teacher, even though I never had him). It was nice to hear them say I looked pretty, and it was nice to wear a fancy dress for something other than ballet. Everything else sucked. Truly. Everybody was drunk. And I can promise you that in TinyTownTexas, everyone will be drunk. I don't know how they get away with it, but they do. DRUNKDRUNKGROSS. It's like duck duck goose with more vomit. I remember one girl being propped up on a chair because she was too drunk to do anything but nap on the floor, half comatose. CLASSY.

    In other news; I never want a wedding. I believe in marriage, and I hope to someday have a fairy-tale marriage. I really do want that, the 50 year anniversary party and grandchildren and happiness and all those fairy-tale things. (It doesn't seem real, does it?) But I don't want some man's name, and I don't want a stupid, sexist, traditional wedding. OUT.

    That's all. :D

    ReplyDelete