Thursday, August 19, 2010

Blog Every Day August: 8/19

I come to you sprawled across two plastic chairs in our extra room as my mother works magic on my clothing. The room is well-lighted, but dreary, due to wood paneling that some loving soul installed in the seventies. The linoleum is pretending to be wood, as well, but I'm not believing it. This room is also home to our good pal VoldeTread, who sulks in the corner as I blatantly ignore him. Suck it, Volde, I'm busy.

You see, fellow fantastic friends of light and gorgeousness, I already wrote this blog post. I painstakingly entered it into my phone, sitting in this exact spot, as I provided moral support to the wonderful magical person who is fixing my clothes for me. However, as I attempted to save it, the draft self destructed. Thus, with much gesticulation and ranting about the perils I would inflict upon the sadistic Ava (my phone, in case you weren't aware. You wouldn't, as I have never before revealed this name to anyone but the tinny little voice inside my head), I am writing it again on my laptop (who doesn't have a name, somehow, though Herman feels good to me at the moment). Woe is me.

This afternoon my mother and I ventured out to complete several fun and exciting Tasks. First we visited a bank to inquire about opening an account so the lovely school district can pay me money. Acquiring useful information and deciding to open said account... then came the questions. Do you have a Texas ID? No, I have a military ID, would that be okay? Let me check with my supervisor, do you have your social security card? Yes, yes I do, here you are. Do you have a bill as proof of residence? No, no I do not, as I am seventeen years old. Oh okay let me speak with my supervisor, oh is it okay if I rip your social security card along the perforations oops I already ripped half of it. No. No, it is not okay. Thanks so much. And then came the supervisor, who was really very nice, and she helped us and told us things and do you have proof of residence? No, no I do not have a bill, would my learner's permit be acceptable? Well let's see, why doesn't it have a picture on it? They didn't take my picture. I do not know. Oh okay, well this looks fine but our machines aren't all working so you may have to come back later for some of the papers. Okay. That's fine. Paperwork paperwork paperwork thank you very much, we will call you when the machine works again.

And off we went to the personnel office! Hello, I am awesome. Can you help me? Sure! Let's go into this room and fill in exciting paperwork. Do you have a Texas ID? No, I have a military ID, would that be acceptable? I'll have to call someone about that, do you have your social security card? Yes, here it is, could you please not tear it? Oh okay, let me call this person, could you fill this page out? Sure. Hello again, oops I'm so sorry I tore your social security card just now right in front of you. Oh, um. No big deal. I've only had it for seventeen years. Paperwork! This is standard magic, sign here and here do this. Sure fine. Okay, let's make your ID! Yay fun! Here you go, please get your bank to sign this because otherwise you might be a liar and we can't give you money. Thank you, see you soon, love and kisses!

Back to the bank! Hello, could you sign this please? Sure, I will get my supervisor, just a minute. Okay, fine. Hello, sure I will sign it, could you sign here? And oh! Our machine gave us your magic papers just now, here you are, how lucky. Thank you!

To personnel! Here is the paper! Is that all? Yes, that's all, thanks a lot. Bye! Thank you again! Undertones: you ripped my social security card. Boo hiss, tears, pain. I wish to avenge you.

I think you'll find I may have added a pinch of extra beauty to these conversations. It was there. In the Tones. In the air. In the 101 degree weather. You can trust in me, for I am Pancake Ninja Sparkle Cape Girl Who Carries Around A Fire Extinguisher! Also Katherine: somewhat over the normal level of epicness. I have the best names.

To the car! Grocery shopping is exciting! Mom: don't let me lallygag, okay? Me: Okay. Ten minutes pass as we forage for Important Items. Mom: I'm going to lallygag. Me: Mom. Mom: Sorry. Me: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Mom: No, I told you to tell me. Me: But... I'm the worst person to request this of. And so we looked at very exciting things like JalapeƱo chip dip and Fritos and had a grand old time picking up dog food. These things are unrelated. They were the first things to come to mind from the trip.

Returning home, I besieged my mother with such a fit of nervous babbling that she told me I should go lie down. I am very easily pushed into a broiling pot of panic. Of late I am realizing that sometimes I just really need to go hide under my covers and rest for a while. Sometimes this is the only thing that helps, as writing only stimulates more thought, which isn't always what will make me feel better. This evening a few other things have occurred, some of which aren't particularly relevant and others being thoughts that could consume entire blog posts of themselves. The topic I'm considering right now could be very easily misinterpreted or come off wrong, so whether I work up the guts to compose it is questionable, but there you are.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths. Training with the other student workers and the Co-Op teacher tomorrow afternoon. School on Monday, still with things to complete (Frankenstein, which I'm halfway through, and other bits that are probably unnecessary but I drive myself to pieces with anyway). It will be okay. It will be okay. It will be okay. Mantra, other things, stuff.

4 comments:

  1. They ripped your Social Security Card?! >:O
    NOT COOL! You'd think they'd be more careful.

    101 degrees? Oh my. Is this an exaggeration in any way???
    *reasons I would never survive in Texas*

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would think so. :/

    Nope. I read it off an electric sign thing while we were driving. It is WARM.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, don't worry about the ripped social security card. I'm sure that by the time that we qualify for it, all the social security money will be gone anyway. :)

    But at least you finally got all your bank stuff sorted out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. DEFINITELY used to live in a house with that faux wood paneling stuff. We painted it this off-white creamy color and it made the room look 3000 times bigger and more inviting and less like a 1970s cheese-fest. So, if you ever feel like undertaking THAT particular painting adventure...the results are fab! And VoldeTread can hold his horses. Or his Tread. Or you know, whatever.

    I like Herman. And Ava. I dislike paperwork and supervisors. Honestly, if you have to go grab your supervisor every five seconds...what is the point of your job at all? Just hire another supervisor.

    Also, undercover breaks under the covers are always a good idea. It makes you feel better every time. I support this.

    ReplyDelete