Monday, August 2, 2010

Blog Every Day August: 8/2

Story time. When we (my sister, mom and I) moved to this (itsy bitsy hick magical) town two years ago, we began attending the local United Methodist Church. To put it as simply as I can, our youth pastor was offered a (non-volunteer, ahem) position as youth director at a church in a neighboring city. As a result of this and other factors (i.e. the pastor retiring and church politics being what they are), we don't really have a home church at the moment but continue to associate with our former youth pastor's group and participate in some of the events at their church. It's all very confusing but existent, and you don't really need to know all of this, but there's some groundwork for you.

Yesterday the youth group had a lock-in for the girls. It was really almost merely an excuse to get us to paint bluebonnets on canvas bags for the United Methodist Women to sell. I am somewhat insulted at being continually asked to do this. I know they sell them, but where does the money go? The UMW, supposedly, but where does it go from there? I am told that I am--wait for it--"the future." That gets to me too. Fumes. However, I do go willingly to these events, so maybe I'm bringing this frustration onto myself. We were also asked to write letters to soldiers, which I didn't mind as much. I may feel ignorant and jaded writing them, but I am much more comfortable at writing than painting bluebonnets. Just so you know.

Other main events at this lock-in included ridiculous dancing to Jesus songs and a talent show. I am not averse to Jesus songs. I like many of them, even. However, gesticulating wildly while singing "Pharaoh, pharaoh, whoa baby let your people go! Huh! Yeah yeah yeah yeah!" did not feel historically accurate. Maybe that's just me. As for the talent show... it included a lot of dancing to songs playing as loudly as my poor little phone could manage, as the girls were "borrowing" it to use music off of YouTube and the sound system was not behaving as they would have liked. I did not want to part with my phone, as it ties me to great land of the internet in scary social situations, but I was pretty much cornered into this act of supreme kindness. Woe is me. I get weird about my writing when people I don't know very well read it, but I read something I had with me at the time about puzzle pieces (don't ask) for my "TALENT" and earned the grand title of "Best Poet" for my efforts. I am not a poet, so this irks me a bit, but it is to be noted that I did take great care in not bending the certificate I received. Maybe I just don't like bending things. We'll go with that one.

Upon completing these perilous tasks, we scampered over to the youth building to set up camp with air mattresses, sleeping bags and more junk food than I've ever seen in a setting such as this in my life. I did eat a bowl of ice cream. It was ice cream. Junk food makes me nauseous, which I find to be quite unfortunate. I tend towards hanging out with the adults/chaperones when I attend group events, which is what happened in this instance. While the girls pushed their air mattresses together on the other side of the room, as to make mattress hopping a critical life skill to have mastered, I ended up on a love-seat in a group of couches the adults were sleeping on. I can't help but think that I probably slept better curled strategically on this love-seat than I would have on an air mattress, the supply of which quickly dwindled to none. With sugar at hand and florescent lighting assuring wakefulness, the girls quickly turned to utterly fascinating subjects. Such as thongs, boys, booty dancing, boys, the great need for gay best friends, boys and tan circles. Also notable is the fact that many of these girls wear very little in the way of pajamas, and I now am both scarred and almost convinced that I may be the last girl on earth without a flat stomach and hair on no places other than my head.

Sleep occurred at some point, and this morning I woke up achy and required to do some more Jesus dancing ("pharaoh, pharaoh, ohhhhh baby let your people go! Huh! Yeah yeah yeah yeah!"). Maybe it is a lost art that I am shamelessly shunning, but I really did not appreciate the Jesus dancing at that hour. Following this and more letters to soldiers, we returned again to the youth room where more junk food was consumed and people began readying themselves to go. Soon there were just a few of us left, and after straightening things quite excellently and being given lunch by the Children's Lunch Program the church runs (adorable! Jamwiches!), my sister and I were kindly given a ride home with the youth pastor's wife (who is really more of a co-leader, considering how much work she does for the group), her daughter and sister-in-law in their truck. They are the only family I know that actually, you know, needs a truck. We have trucks practically coming out of our ears here, but that is a rant for another day. The family has horses and does rodeo and probably other things I am unaware of. In any event, we were a bit squishy. There were pop up seats and I couldn't feel various appendages for a while, but all things considered it went pretty well.

And guess what? Now I am HOME. I could sprinkle you with possibly amusing anecdotes from my great and magical adventure, but my mom is home again now and I am compelled to go say hello to her and things because I missed her. Thank you for reading this incomplete (yet charming) brain mush I have somehow produced. Welcome to the fold, and I shall see you again tomorrow for more exciting things.

10 comments:

  1. (this is Erin/Samwisegirl12)

    I was following your tweets on this and it does NOT sound like much fun. I'm picturing these people as 14 year olds who pine after Justin Beiber (which is a type of person of which I am not particularly fond). Also, I'm not the biggest fan of "Jesus music" as you called it, so I can definitely agree that waking up to people dancing to it would not be the best.
    Re: the shaving . . . I don't get why the world is so weird about this. I don't shave my legs super regularly because I just don't care! Yes, hair grows on my legs. It is natural. I see not reason why I should be ashamed of this. As for *ahem* other shaving, I guess it's all personal preference but to do away entirely with certain things *ahem* seems (1) time consuming, (2) potentially painful, and (3) a little unnecessary /end rant

    Happy BEDA! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Erin, my fantastical BEDA buddy!

    You're right about the type of girls we're talking about here. Most were about fourteen, very hyper and of the Bieber-appreciating variety. They may have many redeeming qualities, but they drive me crazy.

    Another thing about the Jesus music (and, indeed, any of the activities we did) is that it wasn't optional. It frustrates me when activities are *required* because then I just end up miserable and alienated.

    Agreed on all points re: shaving. I do not appreciate being expected to be hairless by society. It seems like way too much work with very little benefit. I don't shave my legs often either, and as for other bits... just yes. I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Pharaoh, pharaoh, whoa baby let your people go! Huh! Yeah yeah yeah yeah!"

    LOL I REMEMBER DOING THIS. Oh, Christian summer camp. You were good times. Jesus dancing. hehehehe.

    Your writing style is so entertaining. I look forward to reading more. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was also an awesome rendition of "Jesus is my savior and He rolls my blues away, bop shoo bop shoo bop WOO!" Jesus music can be pretty excellent, haha.

    Thank you ever so. That made me smile. A lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey. I am now commenting on your post because I said I would and... things. I love you. I also didn't enjoy it that much either. If, of course, at all. I love Mama Kelli, and almost all of the other chaperones, but I really hate it when they try to force us to do things. Such as be in pictures. Or paint. Or whatever. I needn't reply to the Bieber-appreciating thing, as you already know my incredibly strong feelings toward that subject XD. I also feel alienated around people like that. I try to act like a people person, just to try to get through those kind of situations without much hassle. I assure you I'd much rather stay in a corner, by myself and talk to my internet friends over the internet (on a laptop or something of that sort). One of the reasons I asked Mama Kelli to use the church laptop was to maybe get away with tweeting or talking to some of my best friends online, not just to find a reference image to draw. I don't think she really understood that I needed to have a reference image, if I wanted to create a really good if not amazing drawing, which has always been my goal in art (along with, of course, emotion, a message, etc.). I didn't mind the painting very much (which of course is not a surprise). And stuff. So there is my very long comment. And again, I love you, my glorious sister and fellow nerdfighter! =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. HELLO. Indeed, I thought the general response to your needing a reference drawing was disheartening. It seemed to me that they expected you to pull amazingness out of nowhere with no preparation, etc. Sadness. Events are often (if not always) like this, and it makes me never want to go to one again. It seems cruel, really--maybe "they" don't understand just how frustrating/upsetting it is to be forced into activities. It needn't be a big deal, but it becomes one.

    I LOVE YOU, TOO. And things. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely hate organized church activities. I haven't been put through that in many years...but I remember feeling nothing but miserable and awkward. I never understood why it was that the Jesus Kids were the meanest. You'd think they, of all people, would be good at being accepting...and yet they always seemed to do a good job of pushing others out of their group. Weird. /rant

    Here's to hoping you're free of forced faux sign-language dancing for a good while! Unless you're into that. I mean, it could be fun. Maybe just not to Jesus songs? I don't want to stand around rocking my fake baby, Pharaoh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miserable and awkward is right. And YES. Exactly! It's illogical and weird. And unfortunate. :/

    Next to the words themselves, the dance moves are also very weird to me. Often they include gestures/signs for similar words, if you get my drift. "Sea" equals the sign for the letter C, and so forth. It seems silly to me. But some people like it, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I discovered your blog on Twitter while searching through the BEDA hashtag and I am so glad I did. I really like the way you write and couldn't stop myself from catching up on your other BEDA posts. I look forward to more postings =). Oh and I hope this wasn't too stalker-ish haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so, so pleased and flattered. Thank you! BEDA for the win! I am off to stalk your blog now. ^_^

    ReplyDelete