Thursday, August 18, 2011

Blog Every Day August: 8/18

Today I saw my therapist for the last time before college. I'll be checking back in when I visit home, so my therapy isn't over per se, but this is definitely an ending of sorts. I've been dreading it all summer.

The subject of therapists and mental health is almost taboo in many circles. I've come to mostly ignore this. Why? I'm not ashamed. I'm not crazy, either. Therapy is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. To compare myself pre-counseling and today is a difficult proposition in that the change is staggering. I've grown into my skin in ways I would never have fathomed previously.

Despite their good intentions, my first few counselors managed to make me feel inadequate ("It's been six weeks - you should be happier by now") and worse about myself ("You're quite like your father, aren't you?"). I'm verklempt just trying to find words for how grateful I am for the lovely woman I have been seeing for the past year and a half. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that she cares for and about me deeply. I've never felt judged, unsafe or rushed*.

I have, to be cliche, blossomed.


Days until college: 3


* She also makes Harry Potter references. Just saying.

3 comments:

  1. I want to express how happy these comments about your therapy make me without saying something trite like "I'm so glad it's helped you", but I really am. Having had my own first encounter with counseling this past year, I know how amazing it can feel to find someone who is able to connect with you as a person in addition to helping you sort through your emotions.

    [small personal comment moment] I miss my counselor so much! Not only was he so great at helping me find patterns to things I was feeling in my life, he was also someone I considered a great friend whom I loved visiting. But he moved out to California at the end of the school year and I lost a friend as well as a counselor. Bummer :/ [/end whining]

    You said that you'll be seeing her on your trips home and I know that because of your past experiences you might be a bit gun shy, but if anything comes up while you're away and it's too long til you'll be home again, keep in mind that a lot of universities (like mine, obviously) offer free counseling to students.

    And good luck with move-in tomorrow! I can't wait to hear about all your adventures in college world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I make Henry Potter references! You know, about him and Dumb Old Dwarf and that pal of his, Frodo the Habbit. You never seem to appreciate this.

    You're so NOT like your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that your therapist's a boss. :)

    ReplyDelete