Thursday, August 25, 2011

Blog Every Day August: 8/25

It's after nine on a Thursday night and I sit on a bench outside the library. It's still warm, still somewhere in the 90s Fahrenheit, but night brings a soft comfort to the heat. Across an expanse of sidewalk a fountain sprays water up, up, up. People are still out and about; a bicyclist passes by, then another.  Some twenty yards away a boy pushes his comrade on a hanging bench.

Shadows are cast in all the right places as people walk, occasional voices muffled against the blanket of dark. The fountain is a rush on which I can focus, almost worth the sweat.

I like these benign trappings of night, this handful of minutes in which I can quietly watch and breathe.

I never imagined this far. College was the final point on the map, the destination as far as I could reasonably see. Now that I am here I find myself floundering, overwhelmed and broken all at the same time. Emotions sing as they rocket up and plummet at an unpredictable, incomprehensible pace.

I have yet to grasp this new reality.



Days until college: -4

4 comments:

  1. I AM HAVING A SIMILAR SUCH CRISIS.

    I am floundering, overwhelmed and broken.

    I hope my warranty isn't expired.

    I could really use a replacement/tune-up.

    /most unhelpful blog comment ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH, you'll be fiiiiiiine.. breathe! You're smarter than 90 percent of the people there. If anything, once you're used to it you'll be bored to death. That won't be long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you haven't finished college yet. New goal: survive college. After that: get a job. YAY ADULT LIFE!

    You'll be fine. Just gotta get through the first week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOUR WORDS ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL. :) Loveyou<3

    ReplyDelete